Saturday, February 21, 2009

Books – Between the Covers

I’ve highlighted some book covers recently that I thought were interesting, but the innards of books are of even greater importance. I’m not talking narrative content, which is an aspect better reserved for the weekly reviews, but illustrations. Photographs, color plates, reproductions of paintings, all of these can enhance our enjoyment and understanding of a book. Here are a few items that appeal to me (click images to enlarge).

I had no earthly use for this book, but I’ve always been a sucker for maps and this one is practically nothing but. This is the 1908 Everyman’s edition of Atlas of the Ancient and Classical World, consisting of numerous fold-outs of maps ranging from biblical times to the Dark Ages.


We all like dinosaurs, right? Or at least we do when we’re kids. When I was nearing my eighth birthday I saw the Spring Books publication, Prehistoric Animals in a book store and pleaded with my mother to make that my birthday present. It was expensive (twenty dollars!), and my mom tried to deflect me to something cheaper, but she finally knuckled under and got me this one. I literally wore the cover off the book from continual reading over the next few years, and once I became a gainfully-employed adult I had the book rebound in leather (at several times the original price); I still peruse it from time to time. The book includes sixty plates, many in full color. Some were prepared specifically for this book, others are gorgeous reproductions of the classic illustrations of Zdeňek Burian (the text – which assumes a level of paleontological knowledge on the part of the reader which was certainly beyond my tender years – is by Dr. Joseph Augusta). The picture below portrays a Tyrannosaurus confronting two unfortunate duck-billed dinosaurs (I confess that I always hoped that the poor fellows dove into the creek and got away).


A Gap in Nature: Discovering the World’s Extinct Animals was authored by…well, by Tim Flannery, an Australian paleontologist who is also one of the more prominent chicken-littles of the global warming cult; however, in this book he sticks to the facts, and, in any event, it is the wonderful illustrations of Peter Schouten that I wish to point out, since this is as close as we’re likely to get to having an idea of what these creatures looked like. Pictured below is the Choiseul Crested-pigeon, late of the Solomon Islands (and probably wiped out by cats, which were introduced sometime in the early 20th century).


The Escorial, published by Newsweek Books as part of its “Wonders of Man” series, includes a photograph of the library in that famous palace, built by His Most Catholic Majesty, Philip II. I’ve always fancied having a library that looked like this one (if I had the space and money).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, have a weakness for maps, in fact I Have a large chart of Chesapeake Bay on the wall of the sort my father used for our wanderings up and down the bay every summer of my childhood. Somewhere I've got a link to a great site of historic maps, I'll check the other computer and send it along.

I used to buy local picture/guide books when traveling because many of them had very good professional photosof places where taking pictures were not allowed or a Kodak snap wouldn't begin to capture the scene.

Retread

Anonymous said...

I love maps as well and picked up two treasures last weekend.

[1] Collier's World Atlas & Gazetteer from 1937. Found a few bonus items inside, including an Air Raid leaflet from WWII along with a list of the members of the legislature printed by the Washington Temperance Association.

[2] Mittheilungen. Published in 1876 and in German so I'm not exactly sure what it is, but there are maps of what appear to be expeditions into Eastern Russia as well as China and Somalia.

It's going to be fun to explore these!

Paco said...

I've got a few 19th century maps of various Central and South American countries (including one that spells Chile, "Chili"). The borders of the countries are hand-colored, and they look great on the wall. I also picked up a map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at a second-hand book store that hangs in my office.

Neeniebug: The things you find inside old books is sometimes almost as interesting as the books themselves!

Minicapt said...

Libraries? http://curiousexpeditions.org/2007/09/a_librophiliacs_love_letter_1.html

Cheers