Kathy Shaidle has the lowdown on Obama's nominee for the State Department's top legal position, Harold Koh.
Here's something from Koh I'm sure we're all relieved to hear: "According to his writings, Harold Koh thinks it is 'appropriate for the Supreme Court to construe our Constitution in light of foreign and international law' when 'American legal rules seem to parallel those of other nations'; when 'foreign courts have applied standards roughly comparable to our own constitutional standards in roughly comparable circumstances'; and 'when a U.S. constitutional concept, by its own terms, implicitly refers to a community standard'".
Hey, swell! Under Koh, maybe we'll find ourselves subject to some of these fine foreign statutes and regulations:
- You may not spay your female dog or cat. (Norway)
- No cows may be driven down the roadway between 10 AM and 7 PM unless there is prior approval from the Commissioner of Police. (UK)
- Anyone in company with someone who possesses narcotics, even if they are unaware that their companion has them, can be tried for the same crime. (Morocco)
- No pig may be addressed as Napoleon by its owner. (France)
- Taxi drivers must pay royalties if they play music in their cars for paying customers. (Finland)
- Citizens may not make offensive gestures at a passing state motorcade. (Zimbabwe; we'll probably be seeing a lot of prosecutions for that one in the next couple of years).
Help yourself to all the dumb laws you want, Koh. We'll just see whose America this is.