Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dr. Sowell on social justice

Sometimes I envy those brainy coves, the people with the 8 1/4 hat size who can cut through the tangle of lies and half-truths and purposeful obfuscation and, with the greatest of ease, reveal the plain, unadorned truth at the heart of vitally important issues (on the other hand, in lieu of brains, there is the benignity of a Divine Providence that looks after children, fools, drunkards and Pacos, so I am content).

All of which is preamble to the introduction of another thoughtful essay by the wise and learned Dr. Thomas Sowell.
Seventeenth century philosopher Thomas Hobbes said that words are wise men's counters, but they are the money of fools.

That is as painfully true today as it was four centuries ago. Using words as vehicles to try to convey your meaning is very different from taking words so literally that the words use you and confuse you.
As is always the case with Dr. Sowell, well worth reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paco, that benignity is extended to those of my clan as well, since our hat sizes are far below 8 1/4. Occasionally there is the blessing of having a thought that is in the realm of those that please the haberdasher, such as Dr. Sowell. Those moments of insight into their daily lives leaves a craving and hope like the lottery player purchasing the ticket.

It's Thomas Sowell, what more is there to say?

Deborah Leigh

Anonymous said...

Dr. Sowell is my regular Tuesday post. It still amazes and humbles me that such a brilliant man can put MY thoughts into words that are more than insightful, they are genius.

Thanks for the reminder of all the good that comes with the internet. I'd miss it if we only had newspapers, because I gave up reading newspapers nearly 10 years ago.

Michael Lonie said...

Sowell is my favoite living economist. He is certainly much more readable than my all-time favorite, Friedrich Hayek.

There is a saying attributed to Otto von Bismarck. The Iron Chancellor said that: "The Good Lord looks out for fools, drunks, children, and the United States of America." I just wish we would not make it so hard for Him to do the job.

Another good saying attributed to Bismarck is: "Fools say they learn from experience. I prefer to profit from the experience of others."

Watch TV said...

thanks

carpefraise said...

Paco, I'm lifting my feet clad in hefty boots to pop over to Casa Sowell and read the rest of the article.

before I depart, just giving you a heards up. Sowell wrote a very funny article about writing which I believe strongly that you will enjoy, having laughed myself silly when i first read it.

http://www.tsowell.com/About_Writing.html - 48k - Cached

Would I kid you? Would I? Huh? Huh?