Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sunday funnies

Looks like an appetizing place...



Meet the Invisible Man.

You can't get there from here.

[The two links immediately above courtesy of David Thompson].

It's time for the annual Stella Awards!

Sour grapes: "South Dakota sheriff loses re-election, fires winning deputy".

Guns are back in Australia: water pistols, that is.


From Powerline's "The Week in Pictures"...




The Devoted Wife

A devoted wife had spent her lifetime taking care of her husband. Now he had been slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet she stayed by his bedside every single day. When he came to senses, he motioned for her to come near him.

As she sat by him, he said, "You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times. When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you gave me support. When my health started failing, you were still by my side. You know what?"

"What dear?" she asks gently.

"I think you bring me bad luck."


8 comments:

RebeccaH said...

All good ones, but the seagulls and water pistol thing really resonated with me. I was once sitting on a beach talking to my relatives and friends when a seagull flew over my head and grabbed an egg roll right out of my hand. They are truly bandits.

rinardman said...

I was just reading about those Stella Award winners. Do you really have to be that stupid, or can you do something stupid, and then just pretend you're that stupid, when you go to court?

*

You can't get there from here.

For some reason, that picture made me think of the old Kingston Trio song "The Man Who Never Returned". Take a wrong turn, and you may never be heard from again.

Paco said...

Rebecca: They'll do it every time.

R-man: Either way, there's big money in Stupid.Incidentally, thanks for bringing that Kingston Trio song to my attention. I went over to YouTube and listened to a live performance of it. Pretty funny.

rinardman said...

Wait! Are you saying you had never heard that song before now? I thought you & I were of about the same vintage. That song was a big hit for the Kingston Trio in 1962, and I remember it being played many times on the radio. I always liked it, and before long I knew all the lyrics and would sing along like I was a member of the "Kingston Quartet".

Kingston Quartet? That doesn't sound nearly as cool as I thought it did, back then.

Paco said...

Meh, similar vintage, probably different vineyards.

I had not heard the song before. It's a bit of a mystery. As popular and influential as the Kingston Trio was, I don't remember hearing them on the radio all that much when I was a kid. I recall hearing "Tom Dooley" and maybe one or two other tunes, but not the one you mentioned. Of course, I was in the second grade in 1962, and not a big radio listener. The songs that stand out in my mind from that period of my life are novelty items like "Alley Oop" and "Monster Mash", or "story" songs like "Big Bad John". Also there was a lot of what we call "beach music" in North Carolina.

HAL9000 said...

U always wondered why Charlie's wife didn't hand him a nickel with one of the sandwiches she gave him every day. Verrry suspicious.

rinardman said...

Maybe you didn't have older siblings who listened to music on the radio, like I did. I was nine in '62, and most of my exposure to music was incidental at that age. I was probably 14 or so when I got my own transistor radio, and started to listen to music on my own. Post British Invasion rock & roll, by that time.

HAL9000: Yeah, even at nine years old, I figured that out. Why not just give him some money, instead of a sammich, to get him off the train. I decided well, then there wouldn't be a song about a man who never returned! If you introduce logic into popular culture, a lot of it would disappear.

bruce said...

We had The Seekers more than the Kingston Trio, but we did listen to their hits. I was checking out versions of I Know You Rider other day and came across a Bluegrass band I really like, the Hillbilly Gypsies (WVa?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vIA0V3V6Q