Sunday, September 9, 2018

The ghosts of Brunswick County

When I lived in Fairfax, Virginia, I was constantly making trips down to Richmond, and due to the terrible traffic problems on I-95, frequently found myself taking US 1 part of the way. There are many abandoned houses and commercial buildings along the route which I had always intended to photograph for the purpose of doing a photo series which I was going to call "The Ghosts of US 1". I did, in fact, blog about a couple of interesting sites, but never had a chance to do all I wanted to do.

That's all out of the question, now, since I've moved to Southport, NC, but the basic idea is the same, so I'm putting together photos of various ruins and other sites that I'll be posting occasionally under the title "The Ghosts of Brunswick County". Abandoned places have always appealed to me, probably because they're evocative of people who came before, whose livelihoods, hopes and dreams were once tied up with these now desolate structures. I can't help but wonder who these people were, what became of them. As always, click to enlarge photos.

Here are some long-abandoned silos in a bean field near the town of Bolivia.







Now, here we may be talking real ghosts. These are some shots from a private cemetery (also near the town of Bolivia) about which I have been able to learn almost nothing from internet searches, except that the place is owned and operated by some kind of foundation. It is the David R. Mercer Cemetery, and entry is usually impossible because of a chain that extends between the two brick pillars on either side of the road; however, today the chain was down (possibly to allow for Sunday visitations), so I went in and took a gander around.









Well, I guess I do know what became of those folks. May they rest in peace.

13 comments:

Mike_W said...

I used to watch TikiTrex videos of her explorations of abandoned sites.
There was something fascinating about it.
One would never know if there was a body in the abandoned freezer in the kitchen.
She seems to have retired from urban exploration.

Paco said...

Interesting video. I'll have to check her other ones.

bruce said...

I love this stuff.

rinardman said...

Those look like silos for storing corn silage. There must have been a cattle feed lot there at one time. There's still a lot of the old silos around here, but a lot of the big cattle operations have disappeared, and the farmers have gone to just raising grain. Remnants of the past.

Steve Skubinna said...

In the late Eighties I was living in Brown's Mills NJ (while homeported at Earle NJ). While Jersey is the most densely populated state of the Union, there's a lot of unoccupied land in the south part, including the notorious Pine Barrens.

One day I was wandering through the woods and came across an abandoned factory. Big brick building, loading dock, but no current roads or railroad tracks leading to it. Also no visible signs identifying what the place used to be.

This being before the internet, resources to investigate were scant and I never did find out what the place had been.

RebeccaH said...

While we were in the Poconos, lost on the back roads of course, we came across what had been a massive resort hotel with all kinds of out buildings and tennis court and pools on both sides of the road. It was abandoned and completely overgrown, but it looked like it had been a really big tourist destination at one time (possibly back in the fifties?). I wish I had taken pictures of it, because we couldn't get over how something like that could have been just left to rot. Of course, that part of Pennsylvania seems to be gradually emptying out anyway, because there's not much there.

RebeccaH said...

By the way, Mr. Paco sir, I thought you might be interest in this bit of history.

Deborah said...

I love places like this. There are an abundance of opportunities here in rural south Texas. Some are marked by historical markers, some not. We've talked about carrying a camera, but haven't followed through. Paco, you inspire me.

We've discovered pioneer cemeteries while exploring our area. The dirt roads have led to a Masonic graveyard, and one in various states of repair that holds members of prominent families.

Paco said...

Thanks, Rebecca, for that fascinating hat history!

Deborah: I highly recommend carrying a camera around. I'm just now starting to do it.

bruce said...

So, battening the hatches for storm Florence?

Paco said...

Absolutely. I hope the next ruin I photograph isn't my new house.

Deborah said...

That's amazing. Makes me want a handmade Panama. Support the weavers, you know.

I do question the statement that the weavers take months to finish a hat. The weavers are probably paid by piece, therefore they don't have the luxury of time to be particular. Also, these people are highly skilled.

Deborah said...

Hopefully. AndA hopefully there is no news footage of you and Mrs. Paco waiving from the roof.