Friday, September 6, 2019

Once you start looking into dialects, it's hard to stop

In the comment section of the post on Outer Banks English, friend and commenter Rebecca mentioned a low-country dialect from South Carolina and Georgia called geechee. I was unfamiliar with it, but a little research revealed that it is a creole language spoken by descendants of slaves, the Gullah People, who have preserved much of their original African heritage. Here, a couple of young people provide a language lesson.

1 comment:

Jonah said...

Sounds like mostly English words, twisted up some. I don't know what the Gullah people, who are from Ethiopia (if I rememeber a Wilbur Smith novel I read many years ago) speak.

Also, from watching the cop shows, I often wonder how long it takes for a whitebread cop to learn the language. Being a rookie has got to be hard.