Sunday, May 3, 2020

Sunday funnies (cont'd)

Hillary Tweets a photo of herself wearing a mask. Hillararity ensues.

Friend and commenter Rinardman mentioned Bob Uecker in the comments section of today's main Sunday Funnies post, and his doing so reminded me of how funny Uecker could be. After a mediocre career as a catcher in major league baseball, Uecker built a second career making fun of his not-exactly-sensational legacy (additionally, he worked as a sportscaster and an actor in television). Here he is on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson from the early 70s (not that I needed to mention the decade; check out those threads!)



And here's the Miller Lite commercial with Uecker's classic line, "I must be in the front row".

2 comments:

Jonah said...

Johnny's shirt looks like something I would have worn in '71 ( age 11.) Uecker looks like the French guy in The French Connection.

When I had satellite radio in the truck I would tune in to Brewer games just to hear Uecker.

So many younger announcers are obviously auditioning for espn, they don't get too enthusiastic about the teams they work for, they uptalk, they're bland. Then again, the Padres guy went too far the other way, he's very annoying.

Jonah said...

And may I just say Maria Bartiromo is looking like one of those news anchors in that 1989 Batman movie, this is not necessary.