Saturday, May 2, 2020

This is the kind of thing that makes me regret I didn't buy a double-wide trailer and 50 acres of desert land in the foothills of the Dragoon Mountains

"Neighbor sends rude ‘stay at home’ note to woman—has no idea she’s a 911 dispatcher".

Neighbors. You can never be sure what kind you're going to get. If your closest one lives a half-mile away, it's no problem. If we're talking 30 or 40 feet, that's when you run the risk of...issues. Like the woman in the story linked above, who was the victim of the nosy, know-it-all neighbor who leaves notes. Or the little girl who posted "No Smoking" signs on the cul-de-sac where I used to live in Fairfax, VA (I was the only smoker in the immediate neighborhood). Or the fellow next door to me now who overwaters everything in his yard, from the grass to the shrubs - which would be ok, except for the fact that there's one strip of land between us where I will probably only be able to grow cattails or maybe lily pads.

Isolation. It's greatly underrated.

8 comments:

bruce said...

and a horse with no name.

Paco said...

Haw! I guess "a horse named Lennie" wouldn't have worked very well in that song, would it?

Spiny Norman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spiny Norman said...

Isolation. It's greatly underrated.

My current dream home. Yeah, it's tiny, but it's on acreage right next to the Thompson River in western Montana. Completely renovated. $180,000 asking price.

(Previous post had the wrong image. oops.)

bruce said...

Being out in the wild makes you target of every critter, especially rats I find. They try to get into the walls or roof, they gnaw at your doors and windows. If they get in they rip stuff up to build nests and poo everywhere. I found 50 plus mummified dead rats in an old shed I demolished. And I've got neighbours around, except one corner of the block used to connect to the bush, before it was built on.

JeffS said...

I have decent neighbors, but, yeah, I'd like a bunker in the mountains myself. Or a house on 10 acres. Clear fields of fire is a must, either way.

Paco said...

Spiny, you ought to jump on that! What a beautiful place.

Jeff: Clear fields of fire are always a priority.

Spiny Norman said...

Yeah, Paco, I wish I could. I'd have to sell my house first, but there's still repairs that need to be made to make it "sale-able", plus my Dad's on the deed*, so he would have to agree - and he had one thing to say: "That's looks nice, but where are ya gonna find a job in a little town like that?". Um, yeah, well ... that could be a problem.

(*He cosigned, 'cause I had bad credit in 2004. I haven't had the $ to buy him out yet. He paid the down, and a big chunk of the original repairs back then, after I blew my budget on a new kitchen.)