Sunday, August 16, 2020

Know your gun history

Something interesting to me was the discovery that there were Luger pistols made especially for the American market (note the old photos of various Western characters carrying Lugers).

Speaking of guns, it's obvious that the buying frenzy has caused people to do some strange things. For example, I just bought a Glock 23 Gen 4 (a medium-sized .40 caliber pistol). Truth to tell, I never particularly liked Glocks. They have a reputation for being durable and reliable, but the look of the things always left me cold; however, I just saw the 23 for sale online at AIM Surplus, in "Battlefield Green", plus three 13-round magazines, and it seemed to be a good deal. I checked some of my favorite sites to do a price comparison, and they didn't have any Glocks at all, so I jumped on this one. Had to do it; would've been a crime not to. The gun, incidentally, which popped up Friday, is now sold out.

3 comments:

Veeshir said...

My buddy called Glocks 'gun designed by engineers not gunsliths'.
I don't own one but that's mostly because I like Sigs. My 2340 is sweet.
I also don't get similar types of guns unless I'm getting a new caliber.
Like a lever action in .357mag to go with my GP 100 and one in .44mag to go with a 629, or a different caliber bolt-action WWI or II rifle.
I'd like to hear a range report on how you like it.

Instead of guns, I've been getting mags and ammo. You can't have enough of either.

Paco said...

It ought to go well with my Kel-Tec Sub-2000 carbine (both are .40 caliber).

My favorite semi-auto is my Walther P99 with the anti-stress trigger. Unbeatable ergonomics, utterly reliable, very accurate. Almost bought a PPQ in .45 ACP but - Poof! - I waited too long and now they're all gone.

JeffS said...

I've been getting mags and ammo.

Good move, V!

Paco, I have a Glock 23, an older model (Gen 1, or whatever) as my EDC. V is right, it was not designed by a gunsmith, but it handles well, and I like the lack of a safety for an EDC.

I reloaded a couple hundred rounds of .40 S&W today -- with more to come. I ordered a resupply of Prvi Partizan bullets on line today. I'm going to need it, as the shelves are getting bare again.