Saturday, June 22, 2024

Help me understand the geometry

"New York’s Fat Beach Day gives plus-size people a space to be themselves".

If the beach is full of fat people, how do they have more space than on a regular day? Just askin'.

Underwood, a plus-size model, artist and activist, described being bullied for their weight as far back as middle school [italics mine - Paco]. Consistent hate, cruelty and harmful rhetoric from fellow students led to them setting up a blog at 12 years old, which became a place where they documented their experiences and made sense of what they were going through. In many ways, this marked the beginning of their journey into what they denote as “fat activism”.

I think my own bathing suit days are pretty much over. I wrote one time that when I got in the pool here, I was bobbing along with some old fellows of similar heft, and we resembled the manatee exhibit at Sea World. I'm now in sitting-in-a-chair-in-the-shade mode.

5 comments:

  1. Stephen A SkubinnaJune 22, 2024 at 2:58 PM

    It seems cruel to refer to an obese person by the third person plural. And yet you know it is not only unintended, but were you to point it out you'd receive bafflement in return.

    I mean, seriously. That's cheap high school humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the beach is full of fat people, how do they have more space than on a regular day?

    Since it's hard to find any fat people in NY these days, even if they all showed up, there wouldn't be very many, right?

    BTW, is that a beached white whale with tattoos in that photo? Captain Ahab from the Pequod wants to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are still the svelte person I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a beached whale joke in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too much biscuits and gravy, not enough broccoli.

    ReplyDelete