Saturday, October 27, 2018

The nuts and bolts of film making

It's amazing, the things that go on in movies that we don't see; or, rather, the building blocks that we do not consciously notice as discrete components of the director's art which, nonetheless, come together seamlessly to yield an overall effect.

I came across the video below in which the narrator dissects one scene from the classic movie, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, and it is wonderfully instructive, describing how Director John Ford used framing, movement (and absence of movement), positioning and camera angles to convey a wealth of information, not just with respect to the immediacy of the dangerous emotions evinced by the principal characters, but also subtly touching on a much larger theme, the death of the Old West.



4 comments:

Mike_W said...

Interesting video.
Lately, I'm going back to the 50s and 60s for my entertainment.
Maybe I'm nostalgic for my youth and a better, simpler time; I really like to watch the background street scenes, people, fashion and cars.
Here in Australia, we never saw a 1967 TV series called, "The Invaders", a Quinn Martin production.
Roy Thinnes is excellent in the leading role.
I really like this series; maybe it's the high quality acting and directing.

Mike_W said...

My dad sat next to Lee Marvin on a plane once when Lee Marvin was on his way to Australia for some marlin fishing and they had a conversation.

Paco said...

Mike: Ah, The Invaders! Loved that show back in the day. Thanks to your prompting, I watched the pilot this evening. Still good!

I assume Lee Marvin didn't challenge your dad to meet him in the street at sundown?

Mike_W said...

Yes, Paco, love The Invaders; tracked down every episode; great stuff, if only for all the beautiful cars.
I think I find the plot compelling these days, because...leftists; we don't know who our enemies are.

No showdown between my dad and Lee Marvin; I think they mainly talked about fishing; my dad would sometimes take off for an international fishing jaunt himself(damn, I was jealous, although I cleaned up plenty of bream, whiting and flathead on the local sandbars in my canoe with 2hp outboard); he was an avid sailor...I think it was the pirate in his genes.

I used to take that canoe with 2hp outboard off the heads off Cronulla, trolling for tuna; I was crazy.