Friday, February 26, 2021

Ominous portent of things to come?

 The Detroit Tigers look to be off to a great start..

Detroit third baseman and reigning No. 1 overall draft pick Spencer Torkelson won’t get to participate in the Tigers’ first several spring training games in Florida.
Torkelson had a bit of an issue in the kitchen of his rental home.
Torkelson, Tigers manager A.J. Hinch said Thursday, sliced his finger open while trying to open a can. Though Hinch described the injury as “very mild,” the 21-year-old needed a single stitch.

This comment from Hinch was kind of funny:  

"Maybe part of his development is going to be opening a can".

7 comments:

RebeccaH said...

Cans are sneaky and vicious. Don't trust them.

Steve Skubinna said...

In Army basic training in 1975 I sliced a finger opening a Number Ten can of... don't remember. I didn't report it because I was scared I'd be held back, so I washed the gash and wrapped it in a paper towel, which I kept changing as it soaked through, until the bleeding stopped. It probably should have had a stitch or two, but when you're young and dumb you are invincible and consequences don't exist.

Once off KP I was able to put a real bandage on it and eventually everything was fine. Still have the scar across the knuckle of my left middle finger, it's the only visible wound from my time in the Army. Didn't even put in for a Purple Heart.

And thus gave up a possible Senate career.

Mike_W said...

Cans are like knives and guns: always point them away from yourself when using.

bruce said...

Isn't there an App for that?
Kids nowadays.

I remember when... (I'm sure you all can fill in the rest).

My old granma had a scar on her index finger, slicing the nail in half. At age 12, in Sydney Australia, she had a job holding sharpening stones against spinning blades in a cigarette factory, which wnet up and down chopping cig lengths. She said the stone got smaller but you kept using it as long as you could. Also they liked 12 year olds because their fingers were smaller in the machines. Progress - things get safer and people get dumber.

Paco said...

I've cut myself on a can lid more than once, so I am always oh so careful.

things get safer and people get dumber...Ain't that the truth!

Deborah said...

The Tigers couldn't get their star player a can opener? There are openers that leave no sharp edges.

Paco said...

Must be a budget thing.