Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Range test

 



I took the Colt Lawman Mk III out to the range yesterday, and tried it out on one of my state-of-the-art targets (a pie pan taped to a piece of carboard). I don't have any .357 Magnum ammo, so I used .38 Special cartridges (158 gr, FMJ). 

The revolver is fairly heavy, so the weight, plus the Pachmayr grips, absorbed most of the recoil. 

This thing is an extremely smooth shooter, and very accurate. I was firing at defensive distances -  10 and 12 yards -  and the gun hit reliably at point-of-aim, giving me some nice two-inch groups (in S/A; D/A was closer to 3 inches) I was pretty amazed that I could shoot as accurately with this snubby as I can with a 4-inch-barrel, S&W Model 10. 

A delightful gun to shoot (and check out that bluing; sweet!).

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, indeed! I expect that shooting .357 ammo would make it a bit harder to handle, but .38 Special works nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah, I bet if I'd been shooting .357 Magnum, the gun would have been jumping all over the place. Still, I'm going to buy a couple of boxes and see how it goes.





    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shootin' pard.
    I need to practice DA, I din't very much.
    It shouldn't jump until after the shot so I don't think .357 ammo would affect accuracy.
    I can bullseye like nothing with my .500 on SA.
    You just have to not think about the recoil.
    5 or 10 years ago Walmart had Perfecta .357 for around $10-$15 for 50. I stocked up.
    It might be crap ammo but it goes BOOM! every time.
    I still have 1-200 left, not counting good ammo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess what I'm concerned about is getting the sights back on target quickly with a gun that has a fair amount of recoil.

    ReplyDelete