Friday, December 1, 2023

Two notable departures from this mortal coil

"Henry Kissinger, singular US diplomat, dead at 100".

"Sandra Day O'Connor Has Died".

Sometimes I agreed with Kissinger, sometimes I didn't. I think he probably considered himself a 20th-century Metternich, and maybe he was, but I was always dogged by the suspicion that he was too clever by half. Still, when one considers some of his successors - Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, the current imbecile - it's clear that in terms of intellectual wattage, he was way ahead of them.

I don't recall much about Sandra Day O'Connor, except that she was occasionally a bit of a squish, sort of a John Roberts with more testosterone. But my recollections may be faulty. Feel free to put me straight in the comments section if I'm wrong.

6 comments:

Stephen A Skubinna said...

Well, you can argue that Metternich was a bit of a hit-or-miss as well.

But... one of Kissinger's greatest accomplishments? Getting Egypt to detach from the USSR. Which, naturally, Preznint Mushmouth Obumbles reversed.

Paco said...

Yes, he had some indisputable achievements, for a fact.

Veeshir said...

Wasn't O'Connor the one who said that we needed affirmative action for 25 more years to balance things out?
I tried to find that in the Constitution, but my copy must have a truncated Interstate Commerce Clause and fewer penumbras.

Paco said...

Yeah, she (and her colleagues) messed us up with that one.

Deborah said...

You (accidentally, of course) bought the truncated Constitution at the gift shop or wherever. Accuracy costs more.

Stephen A Skubinna said...

Well Deborah, Veeshir only wanted that copy to cover for him sneaking the real one out of the National Archives. Don't bother him, he's in a hurry because Sean Bean's on his tail.