Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Summertime

We're experiencing some pretty extreme heat these days at the Paco Command Center (do better, Al Gore!), with temperatures in the upper 80s, and heat index figures in the mid nineties. Nonetheless, we've managed to keep the garden in reasonably good shape. 

Here's a musk okra flower. It looks a lot like a hibiscus flower, and no surprise: okras of all kinds are part of the larger hibiscus family. The musk okra was originally a "volunteer" (I didn't plant it; it probably got into the garden via a bird dropping).



Mrs. Paco loves hibiscus, incidentally, and has been growing new ones from cuttings for years. Here's a specimen with blush-colored flowers.



Here's another one, with crimson flowers.




I've also been trying to grow some wild flowers, with very limited success. Here's one, though, that looks nice, but I have no idea what it is. 



I don't have any photos of it, but we have a very healthy butternut squash vine growing in the vegetable area. From what I've seen online, the butternut squash can be prepared either as a savory or a sweet dish. The only time I ever had butternut squash pie was at the home of one of my boyhood friends, whose mom had just taken one out of the oven when I visited one day. It tasted almost exactly like a sweet potato pie. If you've got any recommendations on preparing butternut squash, let me know in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. I'm actually growing two okra plants in a big pot, and yes, I love the flowers, but sadly they only last a day. And then you get the pointy fruit, and after a few days when they get to the right size, I cut them. I haven't been able to find frozen okra in the supermarket, so I suppose I need to search the smaller local groceries being on the edge of Appalachia, after all, but this is better. Okra, fried in cornmeal and egg, with a dash of hot sauce. (can't stand stewed okra, though, too mushy).

    I also love hibiscus, but again sadly, I don't own the land in which to grow them. You can eat the flowers, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incidentally, Mrs. P's hibiscus are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen A SkubinnaJuly 16, 2024 at 4:25 PM

    My Mom used to cut them in half unpeeled, scoop out the seeds, put a pat of butter and sprinkle some brown sugar in the center, and bake cut side up for about an hour.

    In fact, I grew up thinking that was "the way" to bake squash. It wasn't until my late teens that I encountered other preparations, seasonings, and methods. Huh. It's a big ol' world, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just call that squash a pumpkin, and I cook both the same. Cube and shallow fry in seasoning, turning the cubes until covered in spice, add diced tomato with a pinch of sugar (gets rid of slight tomato bitterness) and cook down until soft and saucy. Add salt. You can put some chili in the seasoning as hot spice goes well with pumpkin, also cumin. If it breaks down too much cut bigger cubes.



    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds good, too, Bruce. Maybe you guys ought to have your own food channels.

    ReplyDelete