Wednesday, August 7, 2024

I don't get it

Ace had some good stuff about Disney's continuing, mostly-self-inflicted, problems today, but I'm basically just linking his post as a lead-in for a question I have for the commentariat.

Now, I hope no one will be offended, and if you enjoy going to Disney World, more power to you; however, I have several neighbors who go there regularly, and one or two who even own condos in Orlando for the purpose of being close to Disney World, and they go there as adults, generally with no children or grandchildren in tow. What I want to know is...why? They apparently go to Disney World just to go to Disney World; they're not going to play golf or tennis or  visit other attractions. I've actually asked a few of these folks why they go, and, strangely, I've never gotten a coherent answer; it's almost as if (1) they don't know, themselves, or (2) it's so obvious that I must be crazy for asking.

I wouldn't go now, of course, if for no other reason than because Disney has become an offensively "woke" corporation, and I'm not going to put money in the pockets of a company that is undermining the culture. But leave all that aside; what's the appeal for an adult? I should mention that we went once, when our oldest son was about five years old, and we did it for him, and because we wanted to ride the Auto Train. What I mostly remember is overpriced, mediocre food, high entry prices (now truly exorbitant), and an eerie sense of total fakeness. I understand from neighbors that the logistics of traveling there and reserving hotel rooms and buying tickets have become increasingly complicated; one neighbor, who fancies herself as something of an expert on Disney World, recommends making preparations months in advance. 

Just don't get it.

6 comments:

  1. Ya got me. We went to Disneyland when I was 15. It was somewhat fun & interesting, but I don't remember ever wanting to go again. It was a lot of money for a middle class family, even in 1968.

    Maybe they're weird. That seems to be the new thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. "Weird" in the traditional sense. I wonder, incidentally, if this will turn into another word captured by our bold progressives and turned to their purpose, another perfectly good word stolen by the Left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're well on their way to doing that, it seems. Someone at the DNC must have sent out a notice to the MSM that JD Vance is 'weird' without understanding the traditional meaning of the word.
    A word that describes about half of the Dimocrat Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we went some time after Disney first opened in FL, then again as an adult with kids with friends who were celebrating their belated 10th anniversary. We stayed at Camp Mickey and the kids mainly remember the pool.

    I'm a big fan of Universal's Harry Potter worlds connected by the Hogwarts Express; we got the parkhopper pass to take the train ride; I liked the Hogs Head tavern in Hogsmeade because they had a good deal on beer and hard ciders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually asked a few of these folks why they go, and, strangely, I've never gotten a coherent answer....

    Habit? It was cool back when, and they just kept on repeating it?

    Other than that, I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oldest grandson's mother-in-law is a Disneyholic. She buys season tickets every year and travels the 800 miles to go to Disneyworld several times each summer. Her Facebook page is littered with selfies at Disneyworld. Her daughter, my granddaughter-in-law, has to have battles with her to keep her from taking the boys out of school to go to Disney (they don't live close either). We went to Disneyworld a few times, but haven't been in years. It was fun for a while, but standing in a hot, sweaty line for an hour to ride a five-minute ride lost its charm.

    ReplyDelete