Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Assortment

1) Arts & Ammo asks do we really need a Secretary of the Arts?

2) Poached from Are We Lumberjacks: the Egg of Power.

3) Wow! If true, then he’s honor-bound to bugger off this mortal coil.

4) John Updike has died. I can’t say that I was a fan, having read only one of his books; however, the one I read - The Coup (about a fictional African dictator) – I enjoyed quite a lot.

5) You knew the Democrat spending bill was gonna be bad. How bad? This bad.

6) Hey, if things get rough, I can always be a contractor (H/T: Dog Fight at Bankstown).

7) Reason #37 that I don’t eat seafood: “”Blowfish testicles prepared by an unauthorized chef sickened seven diners in northern Japan.” Hey, authorized or not, I ain’t eatin’ that stuff.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

13. Although the House Democrats’ proposal has been billed as a transportation and infrastructure investment package, in actuality only $30 billion of the bill – or three percent – is for road and highway spending. A recent study from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office found that only 25 percent of infrastructure dollars can be spent in the first year, making the one year total less than $7 billion.

Construction dollars will never get completely spent in the first year. In fact, I'd be surprised to see that spent in five years.

Little things like designs, plans and specifications, construction permits, environmental studies, and procurement issues tend to extend the life of infrastructure projects. If we'd built Hoover Dam today, it would take twice as long. At least.

RebeccaH said...

Those contractor pictures are hilarious.

I don't want to even think about the so-called "stimulus" package, even though we all should be. This is just blatant congressional thievery. They don't even bother to try and hide it anymore.

RebeccaH said...

By the way, check out this Youtube clip about the Second Amendment. Quite an eye-opener for gun-control enthusiasts, if they'll only just listen and learn.

Anonymous said...

BTW, Paco, I presume that you would pass on these as well?

Paco said...

Jeff: Oh, absolutely (although I heard - seriously - that Jimmy Carter likes 'em).

Anonymous said...

Paco, lacking gonads of his own, I am certain that Carter gorges on them.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I didn't know Escher was a contractor.