Thursday, September 7, 2023

Question posed

Liberty Safe provided an access code to the FBI when the feds conducted a raid on the home of a J6 protestor. "Brick Suit" asks the question that was on my mind:


I don't know the answer to the specific question posed by Brick Suit; but I do know that things, in general, aren't going to change until people - and companies - begin resisting, even at the cost of facing charges, fines and imprisonment. I'm not condemning anybody for refusing to take those risks, not having been put in a position of facing those tough choices, myself. But the security organs of the state (to borrow from Soviet nomenclature), along with the entire executive branch, seem to have declared war on genuine republican principles and democratic institutions, and they're showing little regard for constitutional niceties. So, we probably are at the stage of taking extraordinary, although non-violent (of course), measures that will require engagement, courage and fortitude. 

As Trotsky reportedly said, you may not be interested in the dialectic, but the dialectic is interested in you.

7 comments:

  1. I have a sinking feeling that the non-violent part of the interlude is not going to last long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not defending Liberty, but would it be hard to imagine what the feds would have done if they refused? The Dept. of Just-us and all the alphabet agencies would have been all over their company, and the FBI would have just forced their way into the safe. And the DMSM would be calling for laws against private gun safe ownership because, Trump!!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tough call either way. And I recently purchased a Liberty safe. I tried to get a mechanical lock (I'm funny that way), but those are no longer available.

    Pity. That's supposed to be a SERVICE to the CUSTOMER (no, it's not a secret), not for the American Stasi, a/k/a Effin' Bee Eye.

    That said ... ... I have to wonder if some hacker isn't working on a means to disable that backdoor. Or already has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. R-man: What I'm interested in knowing is the answer to the narrower question: is Liberty required by law to comply? Even if it wasn't, I can see how this would have been a tough decision, precisely because of the (possibly) extra-legal harassment you reference. But I think a lot of people and organizations are going to be faced with tough decisions in the next few years - just as our founders were, just as the targets of tyranny, both great and petty, always are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, I was looking for one with a mechanical lock and the only one I found was from fricking China.
    Of course, most are so that's not really a dealbreaker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm old enough to remember when Apple flatly refused to provide the FBI with the unlock code to a terrorist's phone.

    Liberty safe have balls the size of birdshot.

    ReplyDelete