Monday, October 16, 2023

That time of year

In late summer and early autumn, we're inundated with cloudless sulfur yellow butterflies (Phoebis sennae). They flutter around so fast, and light for such short moments on any given flower, that it's difficult to capture them on film. I got one, however; I happened to be standing beside a Mexican petunia, and this little fellow (or girl, as the case may be) stopped long enough for me to snap a photo.


It's strangely soothing to watch scores of these things flitting about the garden. Very therapeutic. 

3 comments:

  1. I love butterflies, but I haven't seen all that many this year. I expect the drier-than-usual conditions might have something to do with it, and maybe the fact that we were living in an area without that many flowers or large green spaces. Now that I've moved back to my little rural home town, maybe I'll see more next year. If the weather cooperates.

    Another thing I've missed are the evening primroses popping open when it starts to get dark. I suspect I might have one in the front flowerbed of the place I just moved into, so maybe I'll have one next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have any primroses, but we do have a couple of nice moonflower vines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moonflowers are lovely. Plant them near clematis or morning glories and you have nonstop blooms day and night.

    ReplyDelete